Voronet Monastery, at 39 km of Suceava, also named "Eastern Sistine Chapel", it seems to be painted on the sky, the visitors are transported in a fairyland.
It was founded in 1488 by the Moldavian ruler, Stephan the Great, the monastery's church, also named "Bucovina's jewelry", was constructed in the Moldavian style of that period, the paintings were made in1547 (during the reign of Petru Rares).
The daylight makes the colors more beautiful, especially the famous "blue color of Voronet". "The blue of Voronet" became an idiom that defines an essentially Romanian color. "The sky was painted on other walls too, but never they remained so fresh and bright as Voronet walls did, irradiating the charm/spell around them".
The Byzantine art received here the interpretation of Moldavian painters: the angels have the beautiful face of Moldavian women, the archangels blow the "bucium" (a traditional instrument, approximately like an alphorn), not the trumpets, those going to heaven are wrapped in traditional Moldavian house-woven cloth.
Moldovita Monastery, at 94 km of Suceava and 36 km of Gura Humorului), founded by Petru Rares in 1532, the mural painting was made in 1537. It is the biggest church raised during the Moldavian style flourishing period.
Moldovita mural painting together with Voronet one represent the most valuable treasure from Petru Rares reign.
The very well preserved fresco presenting "the siege of Constantinople" impresses through its force and dynamism, expressing patriotism and concern for the country's fate.
Inside the monastery there is the "Royal House", where there is a feudal art museum organized by the monastery's nuns.
Humor Monastery, at 41 km of Suceava and 6 km of Gura Humorului, built in 1530 by the great chancellor Teodor Bubuiog helped by Petru Rares.
Unlike other churches this one does not have a spire and the porch is open.
The painting dates from 1535.
Arbore Monastery, built in 1503 by the court noble Luca Arbore, who was buried here.
The painting was made in 1541 by Dragos Coman, it predominates the green, a fresh brilliant green with many shades.
Sucevita Monastery, at 52 km of Suceava, built between 1582-1584 by the brothers Gheorghe and Ieremia Movila, it closes the series of great outdoor mural paintings of the 16th century.
It is a fortified monastery, surrounded by a high wall with defense towers.
It was painted by the Moldavian painters: Ion and Sofronie who proved their unrivalled talent. The predominant color is green with many shades.
Every tourist arriving in Bucovina has the feeling of being among the greatest treasures of the Orient, which the painter transposed into art and the art got its one life.
Putna Monastery, raised between 1466-1469, during a period of glory and peace, it is the first fortified construction of Stephan the Great, was designed to be the necropolis of the ruler's family and his descendents, including Petru Rares.
Putna has known earthquakes, fires and invasions for 5 centuries, the only construction from the 15th century still standing is the "Treasure's tower".
Within the monastery there is the tomb of Stephan the Great.
The monastery is famous for its patrimony of embroidery, woven work, manuscripts, silver objects and cult objects.
Bogdana Monastery, from Radauti, the oldest church in Moldavia, founded by voivode Bogdan I in 1365.
Here are the tombs of the first rulers of Moldavia.